When I got my first job – an internship in the European Parliament in Brussels – the thing that terrified me the most, wasn’t the idea that I’d be working alongside some of the people I’d spent the previous four years studying, but what do I wear?! Now, six years after graduating from my first degree, I am a seasoned pro in office-appropriate attire and how to enjoy dressing from the office, rather than dreading it. The worst thing to do is choose boring pieces. I want to feel excited when I get dressed in the morning as, hopefully, that mood will stick with me for the rest of the day. For Autumn Winter 2012, the catwalks were filled with pieces that are office-appropriate, here are my five top pieces for updating your work wardrobe this season:
- A jacket: perfect for keeping any chill off in the office and will ensure any outfit looks smart thrown over.
- A blouse: will always look smart. Even if you’re wearing a pair of block skinny jeans, the addition of a blouse will instantly make the look that much smarter.
- A pencil skirt: this season’s easiest trend update for the office.
- A pair of loafers: if you’re a flats’ girl, ballet shoes are always on trend but this season up the ante a bit with a pair of embellished loafers. Easy and instant chic.
- A pair of slim-fit trousers: the new trouser style fits slimly on the leg – without hugging – tapers at the ankle and sits right on it. Perfect for the office.
What pieces are you adding to your wardrobe to update your work wear this season?