Finally summer seemed to come to the shores of the British Isles last week and to celebrate, I cracked out a few of my favourite summer fragrances and thought I’d share them with you.
Wish I was here…
A Bigger Splash, David Hockney, 1967
The second post in my mini-series on summer beauty essentials cover hair care products to ensure your hair stays in tip top condition for those lovely long sunny days.
I find that in the summer months I often end up with a mountain of beauty products thrown into my bag for days out or enormous toiletries bags for long weekends away – which is never good for hand baggage only flights. So I have put together a mini series – of three posts – of my favourite products to see you through the summer.
The first post starts with summer skincare and we’ll move on to hair care and make-up too.
Skincare in the summer is something I take seriously. It’s too easy to put sunscreen etc on and look after yourself in the sun than the alternatives!
- I’m not too loyal to any one brand of sunscreen. I usually go with the best cheapest option. After all, Asda’s £3 bottles of sunscreen were deemed to be the most protective – so that suits me fine! I keep a mini bottle of Boots’ Soltan sunscreen in my handbag for days that start cloudy and take me by surprise when the sun comes out! Or top-ups on hot days. I’ve recently discovered Soltan’s new Protect and Tan Ultra-light sunscreens which boast to help you tan! For a pale and pasty girl like me, that is good news indeed!
- Even when it’s not hot and sunny I use I confessed in a recent post that I’ve always been something of a lotion-phobe but that this has improved a bit since I was introduced to Dove’s latest body moisturisers. One thing I do take care to take on holiday with me is an after sun. No matter how careful I am my skin is always quite hot after a day out, so something soothing, like the Burt’s Bees After Sun Soother, does just the job.
- Burnt lips are the absolute worst thing ever! At LFW in February I was gifted a Biotherm lip treatment with SPF to try out. Of course, until now I haven’t really been able to try it but now I am using it every day. It’s a little like a lip gloss but without being too sticky and obsorbs pretty quickly to leave my lips moisturised and protected.
- When I’m holiday I find that my feet take all of the battering really and they end the day tired and sore. This year, however, things will be different as Crabtree and Evelyn have sent me their gorgeous Reviving Foot and Leg Mist to help revive them.
What are your favourite summertime skin care products?
There are some things that every girl’s wardrobe should have. Here are my three simple ways to update your wardrobe this summer:
1. flat sandals: the shortest cut to a summer look is to add a pair of flat sandals. These salmon sandals by Kurt Geiger are on sale right now: were £55, now £39.
2. tie front shirt: I’ve only recently come around to this one – after being bought this exact shirt by Warehouse for my birthday. Pair with denim cut-offs and casual smoking slippers for a slightly quirky look!
3. gold jewellery: all year I wear silver jewellery but as soon as I get a bit of a tan in the summer, I find myself drawn to gold costume jewellery. I have a little hoard of such jewellery for sunny days and each year I add one or two pieces to the collection. This year, these gold and coral hoops by Warehouse.
What are your must-haves for summer?
Nothing better than a weekend in the sunshine – filled with al fresco dining and bbq-ing!
Missoni‘s collections are quinessentially an explosion of print and colour – just the thing for your summer wardrobe then. Now Spartoo, the online shoe retailer, has started stocking pieces by the Italian brand. Accessories are often the best way to incorporate bold prints or bright colours into an outfit, so these sandals and bag are ideal:
Are you a fan of Missoni’s designs?
*Images via style.com
With the sun streaming through my window and right onto my desk, I can’t help but turn my thoughts to summer holidays. Granted, this year my summer holiday will unlikely take me much further than my garden but our garden is proving to be quite the sun trap and so I am looking forward to long afternoons bathing and reading and sipping my Pimms.
When packing up the house recently, as I discovered box after box of summer shoes, I found myself getting more and more excited about the weather being warm enough to start wearing them, in particular my Havaianas!
What are you looking forward to most about the summer?