These espadrilles – along with my other Havaianas - will be coming on holiday with me next week. There are so many reasons why these shoes are perfect for lots of walking and sight seeing in a dusty city like Marrakech, but I’ll go with just six:
When packing for my holidays, shoes are often the first thing I select to put into my suitcase. My holiday shoes have to work hard for a place in my luggage as I am fairly demanding in what I expect from them. They need to work with everything I am packing. There’s no such thing as a “day shoe” or a “night shoe” for my holidays, they are all adaptable.
On holiday, I always end up walking more than I expect, even if I am expecting to walk a lot! So I generally only take flat shoes with me. In the past couple of years, I have found plastic sandals to be the most useful of all of the shoes that I pack. They are not only comfortable and flat but ideal in the city, as much as on the beach. Plus, if you get a neutral enough shade, they go with everything! My Havaianas have lasted well and there is always room for them in my suitcase.
The second post in my mini-series on summer beauty essentials cover hair care products to ensure your hair stays in tip top condition for those lovely long sunny days.
I find that in the summer months I often end up with a mountain of beauty products thrown into my bag for days out or enormous toiletries bags for long weekends away – which is never good for hand baggage only flights. So I have put together a mini series – of three posts – of my favourite products to see you through the summer.
The first post starts with summer skincare and we’ll move on to hair care and make-up too.
Skincare in the summer is something I take seriously. It’s too easy to put sunscreen etc on and look after yourself in the sun than the alternatives!
- I’m not too loyal to any one brand of sunscreen. I usually go with the best cheapest option. After all, Asda’s £3 bottles of sunscreen were deemed to be the most protective – so that suits me fine! I keep a mini bottle of Boots’ Soltan sunscreen in my handbag for days that start cloudy and take me by surprise when the sun comes out! Or top-ups on hot days. I’ve recently discovered Soltan’s new Protect and Tan Ultra-light sunscreens which boast to help you tan! For a pale and pasty girl like me, that is good news indeed!
- Even when it’s not hot and sunny I use I confessed in a recent post that I’ve always been something of a lotion-phobe but that this has improved a bit since I was introduced to Dove’s latest body moisturisers. One thing I do take care to take on holiday with me is an after sun. No matter how careful I am my skin is always quite hot after a day out, so something soothing, like the Burt’s Bees After Sun Soother, does just the job.
- Burnt lips are the absolute worst thing ever! At LFW in February I was gifted a Biotherm lip treatment with SPF to try out. Of course, until now I haven’t really been able to try it but now I am using it every day. It’s a little like a lip gloss but without being too sticky and obsorbs pretty quickly to leave my lips moisturised and protected.
- When I’m holiday I find that my feet take all of the battering really and they end the day tired and sore. This year, however, things will be different as Crabtree and Evelyn have sent me their gorgeous Reviving Foot and Leg Mist to help revive them.
What are your favourite summertime skin care products?
There are some things that every girl’s wardrobe should have. Here are my three simple ways to update your wardrobe this summer:
1. flat sandals: the shortest cut to a summer look is to add a pair of flat sandals. These salmon sandals by Kurt Geiger are on sale right now: were £55, now £39.
2. tie front shirt: I’ve only recently come around to this one – after being bought this exact shirt by Warehouse for my birthday. Pair with denim cut-offs and casual smoking slippers for a slightly quirky look!
3. gold jewellery: all year I wear silver jewellery but as soon as I get a bit of a tan in the summer, I find myself drawn to gold costume jewellery. I have a little hoard of such jewellery for sunny days and each year I add one or two pieces to the collection. This year, these gold and coral hoops by Warehouse.
What are your must-haves for summer?
What do you carry to the beach with you on your holidays?